Terpenes are naturally occurring molecules in many plants, including citrus fruit rinds, many herbs, hops, and pine needles.
Hemp and cannabis plants also have terpenes that are a naturally occurring component of the plant. Sometimes referred to as ‘terpenoids’ – these are molecules that are built of ‘isoprene units’.
More than 20,000 terpenoids have been isolated and identified in laboratories, but millions of others are not yet known and not previously studied.
Over 100 known terpenes can be found in the cannabis plant, and each of these can contribute to the smell, taste, and effect that the plant has on the human body.
Just like essential oils can contribute to health by the aromatic and anti-bacterial/anti-fungal/anti-parasitic effects – CBD-rich hemp oil, with varying terpene profiles – can do the same.
In Full-Spectrum CBD-Rich Hemp Oil products, one of these six terpenes is likely to be dominant.
- Linalool: This terpene is also found in: Lavender, Citrus, Laurels, Birch, Coriander, and Rosewood.
- Beta-Caryophyllene: This terpene is also found in: Thai Basil, Clove, and Black Pepper.
- Beta-Myrcene: This is one of the most critical terpenes. It is also found in Mangos, Hops, Bay Leaves, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, and many other plants.
- D-Limonene: This terpene is also found in citrus fruits.
- Humulene: This terpene is also found in Hops and Vietnamese Coriander and is well known in Chinese medicine.
- Alpha-Pinene: This is also found in Conifer Trees and Orange Peels.
Since terpenes contribute to the whole effect of cannabinoids – for people looking to maintain a ‘whole plant’ or ‘full spectrum’ approach to healing and wellness – these are an essential part of finding a CBD-rich hemp oil.
CBD that may be “isolated” (called CBD isolate) or CBD that comes from unhealthy plants (not grown organically and with biodynamic farming practices) – could result in having fewer terpenes or no terpenes at all.
If a consumer is interested in the Entourage Effect of a product – it is essential to make sure that there is both a cannabinoid and a terpene profile.
We believe in whole, plant-based medicines as a natural and constitutional right to health and healing.